What Can Help Your Role?
Some skill sets to think about…
- Art of listening
- Art of building trust
- Art of capturing the journey ( through narrative and story-telling)
- Art of asking – are we on track..is this working for you?
- Art of adapting a youth centred approach
- Art of asking for support (to other mentors, Club staff, Education manager)
- Art of having humor and abundant optimism
- Art of “letting loose” and being human
Things to consider?
- Have fun!
- Expect excellence (not perfection)…
- Affirm, affirm, affirm..encourage..encourage
- Be a role model, teacher, coach and learner
- Stimulate growth through challenges..we all learn and make mistakes
- Nurture creativity
Adapted from Alberta Mentoring Network
Accessed from: http://albertamentors.ca/ Strength Based Mentoring : A Practice Guide for Mentors